About this risk area
Planning and modeling closely relates to the changing generation mix and the challenges with planning and modeling a grid with both intermittent resources and inverter-based resources (IBRs). Planners need to know how the grid will respond to faults and different conditions. As a result, planning and modeling has become more critical than ever, especially as load forecasts are increasing and at times, unexpectedly increasing quickly, as distributed energy resources drop offline in the evening hours.
Planning and modeling is a risk that is often addressed in the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Reliability Standards (specifically TPL, MOD, and FAC standards) with oversight from our audit and enforcement teams. We also address the risk through NERC reliability guidelines, outreach, and committee work. Transmission Planners are welcome and encouraged to participate in our Reliability Committee and Transmission Performance Subcommittee.
Our relevant outputs include our annual Long Term Reliability Assessment and seasonal assessments, which are planning studies highlighting risks to our region. We also participate on collaborative NERC working groups and subcommittees that address the associated risks with planning and modeling, including but not limited to distributed energy resource planning, inverter-based resources, and security integration into planning studies.
Explore planning and modeling resources below.
- NERC Reliability Guideline: Electromagnetic Transient Modeling for BPS-Connected Inverter-Based Resources — Recommended Model Requirements and Verification Practices
- NERC Reliability Guideline: Performance, Modeling, and Simulations of BPS-Connected Battery Energy Storage Systems and Hybrid Power Plants
- NERC Reliability Guideline: Developing Load Model Composition Data March 2017
- NERC Reliability Guideline: Power Plant Model Verification and Testing for Synchronous Machines
- NERC Reliability Guideline: Power Plant Model Verification for Inverter-Based Resources
- NERC Reliability Guideline: DER Data Collection and Model Verification of Aggregate DER
- NERC Reliability Guideline: Parameterization of the DER_A Model for Aggregate DER
- NERC Reliability Guideline: Application Guide for Modeling Turbine-Governor and Active Power-Frequency Controls in Interconnection-Wide Stability Studies
- NERC Reliability Guideline: Power Plant Dynamic Model Verification using PMUs
- NERC Technical Report: Inter-Entity Short-Circuit Model
- NERC DER Modeling Study: Investigating Modeling Thresholds
- NERC White Paper: Battery Energy Storage and Multiple Types of Distributed Energy Resource Modeling
- NERC Survey of DER Modeling Practices: NERC System Planning Impacts from Distributed Energy Resources Working Group (SPIDERWG) – White Paper
- NERC White Paper: Transient Voltage Response Criteria
- NERC White Paper: EMT Models in NERC MOD, TPL, and FAC Standards